T-Level Onsite Construction
Our brand-new T Level Construction building is an on-site development which houses an impressive and extensive construction area that accommodates all the Construction Department’s multiple discipline requirements. The new building is multi-functional: brickwork and joinery/carpentry students use the building to construct the shell of a domestic property and electrical and plumbing students practise their skills by the installation of gas pipework, water systems and electrical wiring.
Working in this way allows students to gain real-time working knowledge in their area of expertise, and an appreciation of what other skills go into a house build. In addition to the remarkable working area, the building also accommodates a specialised classroom facility, changing and shower area and an office for teaching staff to work.
Students are expected to wear a green T Level branded polo shirt, grey fleece and black workwear trousers as well as their distinctive purple T Level lanyard.
All students will develop a general understanding of construction, including:
- health and safety
- the science behind building design, surveying and planning
- making accurate and appropriate measurements
- construction methods
- building regulations and standards
- data management and information standards in construction
- relationship management and customer service
- how the Internet of Things (IoT) impacts construction
- digital engineering techniques
- mathematical techniques to solve construction problems
- construction design principles and processes
- the construction industry and its role in the economy
- sustainability and the environmental impact of construction
- business, commerce and corporate social responsibility
In addition to the core content, each student must choose one of the following specialisms:
- carpentry and joinery