The Childcare Department is situated in the 6th Form Block and is equipped with a wide variety of practical resources to aid our teaching and the students’ learning.
Overview of the Qualification
The qualification is split into 3 parts
- Health and well-being for child development – externally assessed written paper, equivalent to 50% of the total grade. Questions will cover all aspects of the specification including:
- Reproduction and the roles and responsibilities of parenthood
- Antenatal care and preparation for birth
- Postnatal checks, postnatal provision
- Conditions for development
- Recognise, manage and prevent childhood illnesses
- Child safety
- Understand the equipment and nutritional needs of children from birth to five years. This is split into three short tasks and will form 25% of the final grade.
- Understand the development of a child from birth to five years. This will form 25% of the final grade. Students will be required to have a child to study between 0-5 years at the beginning of Year 10 in order to complete this area of the course.
This course is suited to people interested in the following careers:
- Childcare Practitioner
- Primary School Teacher
- Teaching Assistant
- Social Work
- Community Work
Students wishing to follow this course should have a genuine interest in children and posses the following personal qualities; be caring, helpful, honest, patient and kind.
It is also an excellent progression route for further education in the 6th Form where we offer Level 1, 2 and 3 in Childcare.