We recognise the value of an inclusive and welcoming community and the importance of a strong pastoral support and how this impacts on achievement. Care and guidance provided by staff is vital, helping you to become independent, committed and positive learners.
Tutors and the 6th Form Pastoral Team
You will be allocated a tutor when you arrive in year 12 who will work closely with you to develop a wide range of skills from independent thinking to planning how to get you that all important job or University place. They are the first port of call for support and guidance. You will see them during tutor time but you can also email them if you have any concerns.
The dedicated 6th Form team of Learning Coordinators and Student Manager are also on hand to offer practical advice and guidance. Don’t be afraid to ask for help - that is what we are there for!
If you are concerned that you are falling behind or struggling with your work then there are lots of ways you can get help:
- Be proactive re-read your notes / text books and set yourself small, achievable targets to help you get your work completed on time.
- Talk to your teaching staff – they will be happy to help and will go over anything you are not sure of during a free lesson or at lunchtimes / after school
- Talk to our Student Manager who can provide you will targeted support that will help to put you back on track
- Our Special Needs Department can also help to support pupils who have statements or those who have other learning difficulties.
- Talk to our Learning Coordinators they can organise extra support for you
Communication is the key – don’t suffer in silence falling further and further behind – be proactive, do something about it and talk to the 6th Form Team!
Our school nurse runs a regular drop in service that is exclusively for 6th former's. Their role is to support all students to attain good physical, sexual and mental health by offering practical advice and guidance.
Students often go to them to discuss:
- Smoking and other dependencies
- Depression and stress
- Healthy living / Weight management
Two Senior 6th Form staff are also C Card trained to offer sexual health advice if the school nurse is not available
If you would like to access these free, confidential services then please look out for dates and times on the 6th Form Huddle Board and the 6th Form newsletter or come and see us in the 6th Form Office.
6th Form Counsellor
Counselling is a type of talking therapy that allows a person to talk about their problems and feelings in a confidential and dependable environment. Our 6th Form counsellor comes in twice a week and is trained to listen with empathy (by putting themselves in your shoes). They can help you deal with any negative thoughts and feelings you may have and will support and respect your views.
Counselling can help with a variety of different concerns including:
- Depression and anxiety
- Eating disorders
- Bereavement (the death of a loved one)
- Relationship breakdowns
- Lack of confidence
If you would like to book an appointment then please let the 6th form office know or email: Amy.English@uah.org.uk this is a confidential service.
Financial Support – 16-19 Bursary
This fund is designed to support those learners who are between the ages of 16 and 19 and face barriers to continuing in post 16 education. You may be eligible for support with:
- Free school meals
- Books / Materials
- Specialist equipment
- Educational Trips
You can apply for assistance from the bursary if your household income is below £40,000. This fund is paid at the discretion of the Academy.
Bursaries are also available for students who meet one of the following criteria:
- Are currently in care (as defined by Social Services)
- Are leaving or have recently left care
- The student is receipt of Income Support in their own right
The student is in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance and Personal Independence Payments.
If you would like to apply for a 16-19 bursary with us, please refer to our application process on our 16-19 Bursary Page, or Please contact our Sixth Form Student Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org