Plumbing Levels 1, 2 & 3
EAL Level 1 Practical Construction Operations – Plumbing Pathway
The course will enable you to build up practical plumbing skills and underpinning knowledge. You will also have the opportunity to take part in work experience placements, plumbing related field trips and talks and product training from plumbing manufacturers who visit the college.
The qualification is a good transition from school to 6th Form to learn basic plumbing practical skills and knowledge of plumbing systems
All learners will complete the following units:
- Health and Safety
- Working at height
- Manual handling
- Asbestos awareness
- Low Carbon Steel Skills
- Copper skills
- Push fit plastic skills
- Drilling and fixing
- Plumbing basic maintenance
- Underground drainage
- Above ground drainage
- Electrical – lighting circuit
- Electrical – Socket circuit
- Electrics-Basic maintenance
Progression from this course would be on to the Level 2 Diploma in plumbing
City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing
The course will enable you to strengthen both your practical plumbing skills and underpinning knowledge. You will also have the opportunity to take part in work experience placements, plumbing related field trips and talks and product training from plumbing manufacturers who visit the college.
The qualification is a good transition from either school to 6th Form with A*- Cs in Maths, English, Science and ICT or from completing a level 1 qualification in plumbing.
Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating
This qualification focuses on fundamental practical skills and knowledge. This ensures that when the learner completes the qualification they will have gained practical experience and expectation of some of the situations that they could face in a job role within the plumbing sector. The course covers complex knowledge and understanding of a broad range of plumbing competencies.
- Understand how to organise resources within BSE
- Understand and apply domestic cold water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic hot water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic central heating systems installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic sanitation system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand core gas safety principles for natural gas within domestic building services engineering
The Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing does not require occupational evidence.
- Safety in plumbing activities - Personal safety, regulations, access to work, risk assessments, fire safety & emergencies, electric shock and first aid, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH), safe use of LPG and lead working.
- Key plumbing principles - Plumbing materials, standards & regulations, materials and their properties, plumbing science, units of measurement, properties of water and heat, capillary action & siphonage, principles of electricity.
- Common plumbing processes - Tube bending & marking out, pipework materials & jointing processes, hand and power tools, fixing devices, pipe supports & brackets, associated trade skills, generic system knowledge.
- Cold water systems - Cold water supply & treatment, Water Regulations, the origin, collection & storage of water, water treatment, water supply & distribution, types of cold water systems.
- Domestic hot water systems - Types of hot water system, vented & unvented hot water storage systems, non-storage systems, storage heaters, instantaneous hot-water systems, connection requirements of showers, dead legs & secondary circulation, connection requirements for bidets, pipework installation requirements.
- Sanitation and drainage systems- Sanitary appliances, traps, sanitary systems, pipework installations, access and materials, soundness testing, rainwater & guttering, maintenance & decommissioning.
- Central heating systems - Types of central heating system, Building Regulations and central heating, central heating system components, heat emitters, central heating system controls, how the controls work together, soundness testing of central heating pipework systems, maintenance and decommissioning of central heating systems.
- Electrical supply and earth continuity - The electricity supply to the property, electricity supply systems installation (three parts), equipotential bonding, testing & decommissioning (knowledge only).
- Understand how to communicate with others in building services engineering – Know the various roles of the people within the construction industry hierarchy, from Architect to the trades people on site. Recognise the relationships between the site an trades personnel and how to promote good customer relations
- Practical assessments - Practical assessments are taken throughout the course of study and cover a range of activities, enhancing the previously described theoretical units, they are designed to let you develop the necessary skills required to become a successful plumber.
Level 1 and 2
5 x A*- C grades including Maths and English
City and Guilds or EAL Level 2 Diploma in plumbing and heating
City and Guilds or EAL NVQ Level 2 Diploma in plumbing and heating
Progression from this course would be to complete the NVQ side of the Level 2 plumbing Diploma in the workplace as an apprentice