University Academy Holbeach offers AS/A level mathematics with OCR as the chosen examining body.
AS Level, studied in year 12, consists of 3 modules, two core and once statistics. This leads to an AS level qualification. In year 13, the AS level can be progressed to A2 level by studying a further 3 modules, two core and one mechanics. All six modules are required for the final grade.
The modules studied at AS level are:-
- Core 1 – Indices and surds, polynomials, coordinate geometry and graphs and differentiation.
- Core 2 – Trigonometry, sequences and series, algebra and integration.
- Statistics 1 – Representation of data, probability, discrete random variables and bivariate data.
The modules studied to complete the A2 are:-
- Core 3 – Algebra and function, trigonometry, differentiation and integration and numerical methods.
- Core 4 – Algebra and graphs, differentiation and integration, differential equations and vectors.
- Mechanics 1 – force as a vector, equilibrium of a particle, kinematics of motion in a straight line, Newton’s laws of motion and linear momentum.
These modules are delivered over 5 hours per week.
- AS Level:- A/A* in GCSE Mathematics
- A2 Level:- A*-D at AS level Mathematics
Studying maths helps you develop skills in logical thinking and statistical or strategic knowledge, which are valued by employers across many job sectors. Mathematics graduates are in high demand with over 2 million jobs that consider a mathematical qualification essential, with 19% of these graduates earning an annual salary over £30,000. A few job options are listed below:-
Jobs directly related to a degree in Mathematics are:-
- Actuarial analyst
- Forensic accountant
- Operational researcher
- Research scientist (maths)
- Secondary school teacher
Jobs where a degree in Mathematics would be useful include:-
- Aerospace engineer
- Business analyst
- Chartered accountant
- Corporate investment banker
- Insurance underwriter
- Investment analyst
- Quantity surveyor
- Software tester
For more information about graduate careers in mathematic, see the following links:-